- Listen and understand sentence-length utterances, primarily in face-to-face conversation about familiar topics and learned material, when strongly supported by context.
- Read and understand main ideas and some details in simple factual texts about familiar topics.
- Speak in simple sentences to convey basic information about concrete social situations on familiar topics.
- German 102 only: Write short stories or essays on familiar topics using coherent sentences and paragraphs.
- Write simple sentences using basic word order and structures to express personal meaning on familiar topics.
- Use appropriate language learning strategies to achieve both formal understanding of and communicative ability with German.
- Understand and apply basic grammar concepts correctly when focused on accuracy.
- Function with basic cultural awareness of cultural differences in German-speaking countries.
These course objectives contribute to objectives
- 1, 2, 3, and 5 of the BA programs in German Literature and German Studies
- 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 of the BA program in German Linguistics
- 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 of the BA program in German Teaching
Sample German 101 Syllabus
Sample German 102 Syllabus